My Project

I am developing this blog as my presentation for the Scottish Baccalaureate. As a feminist, I have always been interested in women's side of history, a side which is often overlooked and forgotten about. When first thinking about the French Resistance I knew names such as Charles De Gaulle, Jean Moulin or Raymond Aubrac; surely women had to have been a part of this movement too? I worked on the assumption that because men lead the battles, the physical confrontations, that women must have played the underground roles. I began my research online, discovering that the majority of women's stories from this time were available exclusively in French, though overall the most talked about stories of Resistance action remained those of the men. After exploring the scarce internet resources, I went to Lyon, the Resistance centre of World War Two France. I have explored the archives of Centre d'Histoire de la Résistance, and Montluc Prison in Lyon to find the stories featured. Upon returning to Scotland, I have begun translation work to allow these French stories to be shared with the rest of the world. These women played diverse roles in the Resistance movement: they hid escaped prisoners; they delivered messages; they recruited agents; they distributed propaganda; they were brave fighters and their stories deserve to be told.

9 January 2016

Charlotte Delbo

Charlotte Delbo wrote poetry inspired by the horror she lived through in concentration camps during the War. She was an active Resistance member, sent to Auschwitz for her 'crimes'. She spent her time as a Resistance member distributing anti-Nazi pamphlets. She rose within the Resistance as an important female figure because she didn't follow the orders of men; she worked alongside them. The French police arrested her on 2nd March 1942, and she was then turned over to the Gestapo who imprisoned her. Below is one of her poems:

I'm begging you
Do something
Learn a step
A dance
Something which satisfies you
Which makes you feel comfortable in your skin,
your hair
Learn to walk and to laugh
Because it would be too stupid
in the end
when so many are dead
and you live
without doing anything in your life.